A jewel: the Rococo theatre
Nicolas de Pigage (1723-1796) created his first masterpiece in Schwetzingen between 1752 and 1753 with the Rococo theatre. The first design was dominated by the flowery Rococo style. After 1770, conservative shades of grey added some colour in the neoclassical style. The auditorium has been maintained in its original state and, with its 1937 seating, is an authentic picture of an intimate 18th century palace theatre. Adjoining halls with their high French doors, still serve as a foyer and lobby.